A hommage to Indonesian cuisine, this traditional dish is a favourite. Quick to prepare and easy to enjoy! Cooks up in less than 10 minutes.
-250g Tempeh, small cube
-1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
-1 bunch Green onion or half a small yellow onion, sliced
-6 cloves Garlic, minced
-1 Tbsp Ginger, minced
-3 Bay leaf
-1 Tbsp Sambal Olek
-1/4 cup Tamari/soy sauce
-1/4 cup Brown sugar
-To taste Black pepper
1. Cut tempeh into small cubes.
2. Slice onion and prepare garlic + ginger.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil over high heat in wok or non stick frying pan.
4. Add tempeh and sauté until crisp. Approx. 5 mins. Remove and set aside.
5. Add remaining oil, onions, garlic, ginger and bay leaf. Sauté quickly until fragrant.
6. Add tamari, brown sugar + sambal.
7. Cook until sauce reduces and thickens then add tempeh and toss to coat.
8. Remove from heat and serve over rice or with sautéed vegetables.
*Garnish with toasted sesame seeds
*Adjust hot sauce to your liking
*Fresh Thai basil can be added in the final cooking stages for additional flavour